Saturday, July 23, 2011

National Parks- Grand Canyon- Arizona

The Grand Canyon can only be described in one word: grand.

Clifford, Erin and the Grand Canyon.
Photo Credit: Erin Maguire

We stayed at the Rim of the Grand Canyon on June 16 (not exactly the rim but a campsite about a half hour from where we were going to hike from the next day). On June 17, we hiked down into the bowels of the Canyon.

View on the way down.
Photo Credit: Erin Maguire


Trail sign, leading to either campsite at end of Hermit Trail.
Photo Credit: Erin Maguire

It took about 5 hours and it was a twelve mile hike. It was easier than I had expected it was mostly downhill except for the last mile and a half. One of our campsites was closer to the end of the Hermit Trail which we hiked, Hermit Creek which was right off the trail; it had a small pool among the rocks to swim in and a small waterfall.

"Swimming pool" and waterfall at Hermit Creek.
Photo Credit: Erin Maguire

My half of the group had to camp at Hermit Rapids, a beach campsite along the Colorado River which was too cold and fast moving to really swim in. We had to hike another mile and a half to that site at the Rapids and by that point I was tired and past my physical limit for hiking.

While at Hermit Rapids, we spoke about endangered species.Seven out of the nine fish species native to the Colorado are endangered because of the dams along the River. This is because there is less sediment in the water so the water is both clearer (easier for predators to see the fish) and colder (some fish species couldn’t adapt).The California condor is also being affected. 50,000 years ago these birds used to be all over North America and since the 1900s they have only been found in the Southwestern United States. In the 1980s, they started a captive breeding and release program. They spent 35 million dollars for 200 birds and they still heavily mange the birds which is also very costly.

After our discussion thankfully, someone switched campsites with me so I womaned up and hiked back the mile and a half to Hermit’s Creek. The next day when hiking out, I was in the middle of the hiking group compared to the back where I usual am; all because I got that little extra head start by staying at the other campsite. 

And this is where we slept under that cliff hang.
Photo Credit: Erin Maguire

Hiking out we went up the same way we came down but this time we went uphill. There were three sets of switchbacks along the way plus climbing boulders and some fairly level ground.

The flatter ground of the Hermit Trail.
Photo Credit: Erin Maguire

The entire canyon.
Photo Credit: Erin Maguire


Erin on the trail complete with canyon and hiking gear.
Photo Credit: Erin Magure

The last set of switchbacks I thought I was going to die. It was and is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. When I reached the top and everyone started yelling you made it I felt like I wanted to cry, collapse in exhaustion and jump for joy all at the same time. I have never been so proud of myself.  I made it out in 5 and a half hours woot woot go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment